Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Moon Rabbit Foods Gluten Free Scones

Life has been getting in the way of blogging again but I really wanted to share a quick post about Moon Rabbit Foods. Please excuse the cell phone photos - know that everything really looks better than it appears and tastes amazing.

Moon Rabbit Foods is a North Carolina company based near Asheville that makes a wonderful line of gluten free mixes with Cassava flour. I have purchased several varieties and we have enjoyed each and every one we have tried.

Moon Rabbit also sells bags of 100% Cassava flour for baking in your own recipes. Cassava and Tapioca are the same plant and I use Tapioca starch every so often in my own gluten free baking (like these). I like it because it really doesn't have a strong flavor of it's own so it lends itself to sweet and savory baking. The Cassava flour has a different and really wonderful texture which gives baked goods more of a traditional feel.

I first became aquainted with Moon Rabbit Foods when I met Eric DeBerry of MRF at the blogger dinner at Bella Monica for the Gluten & Allergen Free Wellness Event in Durham last summer.  The mixes are certified gluten free, all natural and created by pastry chefs with years of experience. They were a little hard to find at first, but I just kept asking my local Whole Foods to carry them and they finally appeared on the shelves.

The first item we tried was the Brownie Mix and it is a family wide favorite. The recipe on the package calls for a lot of butter (which is a very good thing in my book) and makes the silkiest brownie you can imagine. I've also lightened it up by subbing pureed pumpkin for the butter in one batch and the end result was still wonderful - taste and texture.
The Chocolate Cake Mix was really a treat. I baked it for a recent family party as cupcakes and topped it with a Praline Buttercream Icing I'd just created. The cupcake texture was identical to a traditional cupcake made with cake flour - nice and light. The chocolate flavor, like the brownies, is dark and sweet. I will share the Praline Buttercream soon because I really want to make it again. =D 


The Pancake and Waffle Mix cooks up light and fluffy and we all enjoyed them.

The Premium Cassava Flour is something I've been dying to experiment more with. As yet I have just made a delicious batch of biscuits that were devoured quickly. I just need a little more time on my hands to play in the kitchen.

The Biscuit and Scone Mix was my latest experiment because I knew it would be a quick and easy treat. I decided to substitute a can of full fat coconut milk for the butter and cream and add milk chocolate chips. Milk chocolate chips are a little sweet for my taste - but Joe loves them - so I cut back on the sugar just a bit. I calculated the volume of the coconut milk to butter/cream and I was just one ounce off and didn't adjust from there. The texture was ideal and they were just as good the second day.

Here's what I did:

Milk Chocolate Chip Scones

Line large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1 Package Moon Rabbit Foods
1 Fourteen Ounce Can of Full Fat, additive free Coconut Milk
1/4 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
1 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips

Combine the first three ingredients until just combined - I used my KitchenAid stand mixer with the paddle attachment - a hand mixer will work as well. Add the milk chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Divide the dough into two portions on each side of the large baking sheet and pat into circles about six to seven inches. Cut each circle into six triangular wedges.

Bake approximately 20 minutes or until lightly browned like the photo above.

Cool slightly and enjoy!





2 comments:

leah said...

We just finished off our first pan of brownies and they were delicious!! I was hoping to try the scones tonight but have no canned coconut milk so will have to wait. But my mouth is watering with the thought!!

chacha said...

So glad you enjoyed them!! Hope you enjoy the scones as much...xok