Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Baking with Gluten Free Mimi!

A while back I received a lovely note from Melissa, also known as Gluten Free Mimi, asking if I would be willing to review one of her gluten free mixes.

When I checked out glutenfreemimi.com I was so impressed with the ingredients she uses in her mixes. The whole grains and coconut palm sugar pulled me right in. The ingredients are all things I would use in my own kitchen with no highly processed starches or gums. I prefer to use flax seed meal instead of gums in my gluten free baking so I was thrilled to see it listed.

Melissa sent me a complimentary package of multipurpose whole grain baking mix to bake and blog. I looked forward to baking but life got in the way and the mix stayed on the shelf for a few weeks. One morning a few weeks ago Marie and sweet Aiden came over with our friend Marie and her kiddos for a little crafting. Our friend Marie is a certified holistic health counselor and is all about healthy living and cooking so I figured it would be a great time to try Gluten Free Mimi.

The mix requires two eggs, 1/4 applesauce, 1/4 cup oil and 1 cup pumpkin plus any spices or mix ins you like). Because I tend  to color outside the lines I made a few changes. Instead of 1/4 applesauce and 1/4 cup oil, I used 1/2 cup of oil. I also subbed butternut squash for the pumpkin because my hubby and youngest aren't fans of pumpkin. A cup of mini chocolate chips was my only addition. Since there were little ones coming I baked them up in mini muffin tins for nice little two bite muffins.

The texture is hearty and very moist. The whole grains give the muffins a great chewy texture without being dense and heavy. The squash (or pumpkin) keep them so moist. The coconut sugar was perfect, sweet without being overly so. In all honesty, baking with buckwheat has been hit and miss for me so I was leery. The combination of teff and millet really round out the flavor well. I liked the muffins warm but enjoyed them even more the next day.

I would absolutely recommend this baking mix and am looking forward to ordering more Gluten Free Mimi mixes.


Happily shared on Gluten-Free Wednesdays at The Gluten-Free Homemaker.


No comments: