Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Gluten Free Focaccia With Our House Bread Mix


House-Autry, a North Carolina-based company established in 1812 has a created a brand new line of gluten free mixes called Our House and I was fortunate enough to receive a sampler box of three of them to try. 

I appreciate that the mixes are not only gluten free but vegan and non-GMO as well. While we are not vegan many of our friends are so it's nice to be able to make something that will work (with an egg substitute, if necessary) for them. I am really happy to say that what I've sampled so far has been really delicious and has had a great texture. As in normal food you can serve to family and friends without them knowing the difference. That's if you want to share, of course. 

The fact they have invested in a construction of a new plant for milling the grains for purity's sake is just icing on the gluten free cake.

The mixes will be available this month in Food Lions and Ingles throughout North Carolina.

I've had a chance to experiment with the all-purpose baking mix and have been very pleased with the results. 

Today I tried the bread mix. There are two recipes on the box, one for a standard loaf of bread and one for focaccia. Since we have been on a focaccia kick lately that is the recipe I chose.

The bread mix includes yeast, so all I added were egg whites, olive oil and warm water. Four minutes in the mixer and one more to spread in the pan and top with olive oil, dried oregano and sea salt. 


My oven seemed a little slow and so I baked the focaccia just a little longer than directed. There were only two of us here for dinner tonight yet one half of the 13 x 9 pan is gone. Whether right out of the oven or cooled completely it is amazing. The flavor had a slight sweetness that was perfect with olive oil,oregano and salt. Since the pan was greased with olive oil and the focaccia was topped with olive oil, the crust has a wonderful crunchy crispness, while the bread texture was soft and chewy. Joe was absolutely crazy for it and said it's the best he's had.

While neither market now carrying Our House mixes are my usual, I will make a special trip for this bread mix. And, while Our House was kind enough to send the mixes, the opinions are mine....and Joe's. 

Happily shared on Gluten Free Wednesdays thanks to Linda at the Gluten Free Homemaker.


4 comments:

Julia said...

That focaccia looks delicious!

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Wow, Kathryn, I hadn't heard about about House-Autry coming out with a new gluten-free line! I always loved their products before going gf. I'm not much of a mix gal but, gosh, your focaccia looks and sounds amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your review, dear. :-)

xo,
Shirley

chacha said...

Julia, it tasted as great as it looked. I hear the mix should be in stores soon so it shouldn't be long before I make another batch.

Your blog is beautiful, by the way!

Blessings.

chacha said...

Shirley, mixes are not generally very GFE, are they? Simple, fresh ingredients will always be my go to, but this mix will find it's way into my basket from time to time. It was a huge hit here.

I always love hearing from you!

xok