Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ev's Gluten Free Coconut Flour Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Buttercream Icing


Today we celebrated Ev’s third birthday with a lunch time fiesta on the deck. We love having the Feks over for fiestas and it had been too, too long.   A Mexican buffet - or fiesta as we like to call it - is such an easy way to entertain a crowd.  It seems that getting everyone in the same place at the same time gets more and more difficult so I was so thankful to have all of us here – including Marc and Ev’s very favorite person, Marie. =D 

The meal – carnitas tacos, spinach, pepper and onion enchilada casserole, a pot pinto beans, quesadillas, salad, guacamole, salsa and a bowl of chopped cilantro with jalapeños - was filling.  Somehow we saved just enough room for cupcakes.

This cupcake is an adaptation of Elana’s chocolate cupcake from Elana’s Pantry.  I stumbled upon Elana’s stunning website quite some time ago and was thrilled to find it. If you are feeling the least bit deprived by your new gluten free lifestyle; read through her site and get a hold of her cookbook.  She creates truly beautiful and healthy gluten free recipes.  Elana bakes with almond flour and coconut flour – both of which I love – and her recipes are simple and scrumptious.  


Coconut flour is wonderful to bake with.  You use a very small amount compared to traditional flours because it expands so much.  It's full of protein and fiber and gives a wonderful subtle coconut flavor to everything you bake.  I even put a scoop of coconut flour into fresh coconut kefir and fruit smoothies for a nutritional boost and a great texture.  I use Tropical Traditions coconut flour and store it in the freezer.


For Ev’s birthday I wanted a slightly more decadent treat and bigger cupcakes - celebration size!  I chose to use butter for added richness. I also used cane sugar rather than the agave that Elana prefers, increased the cocoa and added a touch of vanilla.  The icing is also decadent – an entire bag of Ghirardelli all natural white chocolate chips is the main ingredient.

Coconut Flour Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Buttercream Icing

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Line cupcake tin with 12 paper liners
Makes 12 large cupcakes

1/2 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
1 cup organic cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients and beat on low until well combined.  Turn mixer to medium and let it go for about two minutes or until the mixture starts to turn lighter and glossy.  I use a Kitchenaid stand mixer and usually let it mix as I line the cupcake tins or prepare my pans.

Scoop batter evenly into the liners – they will be at least ¾ full.  Bake approximately 25 minutes.  Use a toothpick in the center to test for doneness. Cool and ice with:

White Chocolate Buttercream Icing

1 11 ounce package of Ghirardelli White Chocolate Chips
¼ cup So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk
1 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar

In heavy saucepan place white chocolate chips, coconut milk and butter and melt over very low heat stirring so the white chocolate chips do not scorch.  Remove from heat and mix in powdered sugar.  As mixture cools it will thicken to an icing texture. Stir every five minutes or so – mine was ready to spread in about twenty minutes.

The recipe made enough to generously ice one dozen cupcakes with approximately 1 cup of icing left over.  That will make gluten free graham crackers a special treat this week.

One cupcake will give you more than enough energy for a rousing game of "beachy ball".



Our littlest guest.  Too small for cupcakes this time but plenty sweet on her own. 


Have a lovely week.

10 comments:

LucisMomma said...

They look yummy! Your birthday child is adorable.

chacha said...

Thanks Susan! Yes, Ev is pretty darn adorable. It's so fun having great neighbors who are good friends. =D

Marie said...

Thanks so much for the sweet mention! It was a great afternoon with everyone! It's Nannette's birthday so the kids and I have come up with a yummy lunch menu and will be attempting to make your very delicious icing! so excited! :D

chacha said...

Of course! You are much beloved! =D I wish I would have known, I still have a container of icing in the fridge you could have used. How sweet of you and the kids - I know Nannette will love what you're doing. xo

gabbyfek said...

we love you, chacha!
thank you for the INCREDIBLE fiesta
the BEST EVER cuppycakes
and for being you.
xoxoxo.

chacha said...

And I love my Feks! I am thinking about a tamale fest and post. They are gluten free deliciousness. Would it be sacrilegious to make them in the spring? Would you be up for that?? xoxox

Melanie said...

Hi Kath, MelanieM from FG here. We're just going GFCF and we've got a bday party this weekend....could I do this recipe with ghee, do you think? I haven't yet figured out what the casein does in baking, but in the case where the butter's melted, I'm hoping I could sub with ghee. If not, I'll use coconut oil. What do you think?

chacha said...

Hi Melanie! Yes, I think ghee would work really well, as would coconut. Elana often uses grapeseed oil. I am not sure if casein does anything or not - it's the fat that you want.

Remember, the white chocolate chips have dairy in them so you'll want to switch that up, too.

Jamie said...

Hey there, Milbabys3 from FG and I emailed you a while back, I would love to give these a try, but can I leave out the cocoa powder and if not what can I substitute it with? Oxylates make my kiddos coo coo.

chacha said...

Hi Jamie, here's the link to the vanilla cupcakes on my blog.
http://chachasgfkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/03/vanilla-cupcakes-with-creamy-chocolate.html

I like these just as much as the chocolate which is saying a lot.

Vanilla cupcakes with the white chocolate icing would be great but you can use any icing or glaze that works for your requirements.

Elana @ http://www.elanaspantry.com/ has a whole new cupcake cookbook with lots of different flavors to try, if you're looking for variations.

I love the term ooo ooo! =D