Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Gingery Miso Salad Dressing



Fresh, crisp and tangy.  This is one of my favorite salad dressings and it’s perfect this time of year when it's too hot to heat up the kitchen.  I love it on big crunchy mixed salads or simple lettuce wedges and even on our favorite Sunshine Wraps.  I love the sunny pop of color but it's the ginger miso flavor I love even more.



Miso is reputed to protect against cancer, help ease menopause symptoms and a host of other health benefits.  I prefer Miso Master Sweet White Miso which I find in the refrigerated section of my health food stores.  It's naturally fermented and completely different than the powdery pouches of instant miso.  Ginger is also reputed to have anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and immune boosting properties. This dressing takes just moments to prepare.


Just add the following to your blender or Vitamix:

½ cup mild tasting oil - olive oil will be too strong in this recipe - ask me how I know. =-)
½ cup water
½ cup miso paste
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons chopped onion
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 piece of ginger - about half inch cube for light ginger flavor - double or even triple for more punch. Mince if using a regular blender.
1 tablespoon honey

Give it a quick whirl and blend to your preference.  I blended this one a bit more than usual so it’s very smooth – it’s also wonderful blended just a little less so there are still flecks of carrot for texture.


Enjoy!

Edited to add:  Don't forget to add your comment to this post if you want to be entered in the giveaway. We'll draw a lucky winner on Friday. =D

2 comments:

weirdcombos said...

Carrot, miso & ginger dressing is one of my favorites! Beautiful and healthy color.
Heguiberto

chacha said...

Thanks Heguiberto! It's one of my favorites, too.