Friday, January 28, 2011

Gluten Free Bread

It has a negative connotation, doesn't it?  Dry, crumbly, just plain odd when it's purchased. Too many hard to find flours to mix and too difficult to master when you make it. It doesn't have to be that way.  Premade gf breads are getting better all the time. There are some great mixes when you're new to gf or when you just want or need the convenience.  Pamela's Products are my favorite. Pamela's bread mix tastes like good, soft honey wheat bread and there are recipes on their site for many variations, soft pretzels, bagels, etc.  Check it out.

That said, I still prefer to make my own.  Baked from scratch gluten free baking isn't really difficult, it's just different.  Different ingredients and different chemistry.  There's a learning curve to be sure but it shouldn't scare you.  I'll share tips and recipes on making great loaves of gf bread easier in a future post.

When I asked my sons what recipe should be first on this blog they both said cheese bread.  Cheese bread isn't a true bread in the yeast and rising sense.  It's a quick bread that takes on many forms in our house from rolls to bread sticks to pizza crust.  It's a great place to start in gluten free baking.  Using different cheeses and herbs gives you endless variety.  Shaping it into bread sticks to dip into warm marina is great and a perfect Super Bowl snack, too.

This recipe came into our lives when I stumbled upon Gluten Free Gobsmacked a year ago. I completely fell in love the site.  As I checked out Kate's collection of recipes I found Pao de Quejo or Chebe Bread.  Chebe mixes are great, but I have to order them.  An easy, accessible recipe like this was gold.  Kate's version is wonderful and so adaptable.  It is neither low carb nor low fat, but it is very high in protein with all the eggs and cheese.  It makes any sandwich or burger delicious.  I find that adding flax keeps them softer and less likely to be crumbly the next day.  Providing they make it to the next day.

Here's our favorite version:



Pepper Jack Cheese Sandwich Rolls
(Makes 12 large rolls)

Ingredients:

1 lb.    Tapioca Starch (see note)
1 lb.    Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese (allow to come to room temp after shredding)
1 T.     Baking Powder
6         Eggs  (allow to come to room temperature)
3/4 C   Grapeseed Oil
2 T      Finely Milled Golden Flax 

Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.

Mix all ingredients together - I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer on medium for about 2 minutes.  (You may need to add a bit of water depending on the moisture content of the cheese and size of your eggs.  Add a spoonful at a time. You want to keep the dough stiff enough to be shaped into round rolls.)

Divide into six rolls per baking sheet, leaving room between as they spread.

Bake until golden and just browning - about 25 minutes in my oven.

Note:  Tapioca starch is available in nearly every Asian market in clear bags or small paper bags like you'd see regular flour in at about $.99/lb in our area.  You can find it in health food stores and some grocery stores but it typically will cost much more.

Hope you enjoy this as much as we do.

7 comments:

gabbyfek said...

we love these too!!
xoxo.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the recipe! I made them last night & we loved them. The recipe made a lot - do they freeze well?

chacha said...

Hi Sarah, I'm so glad you enjoyed them! Yes, they do freeze well, I usually double bag them in freezer bags. A pizza post will be up by tonight and I mention the large quantities my recipes make and that I do like to have a loaf of bread or some pizza crusts in the freezer for quick meals. It makes life a lot easier. =-)

Crazy Corn said...

Yummy - the kids gave it an A++

chacha said...

Thanks for letting me know! I enjoyed checking out your blog, too.

mjm144 said...

I am so happy I ran into your blog. I was brought up with homemade and have always done the same. I'm finding it hard since going Gluten Free because of my health. Finding bread recipes are the hardest. I was wondering if you have ever used Exandex instead of Tapioca in bake goods.

chacha said...

Hi Maryjane, I have not personally tried using it on it's own although I was given a box a while back. I did use a mix once that contained it and it was a really nice texture. I personally don't know enough about the processing to have a comfort level. What about you?