Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gluten Free Scones for Easter



Pamela’s Baking and Pancake Mix is a pantry staple in my kitchen.  For a little over three years I’ve been making the best pancakes with this mix by following the recipe and adding nothing more than eggs, oil and water. I always use coconut oil and melt it while the pan is heating. The pancakes come out consistently good every time and everyone I’ve made them for loves them whether they are gluten free or not.  

There are several recipes on the back of the bag and yet the only other one I’ve tried up until now is Pamela’s Chocolate Chip Cookie which is a great one.



This scone recipe has been calling me for a while.  Since Easter is approaching I was thinking about making some different brunch treats and pulled the Pamela’s bag out to experiment.  The scone recipe on the bag is very traditional and looks wonderful but I decided to play with it a bit.  My new shipment of Tropical Traditions coconut flour was still on the counter and that got me thinking.  Adding a bit of coconut flour, subbing coconut oil for butter and using So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk for dairy gave them just the right amount of coconut flavor.  Since coconut flour absorbs so much liquid I needed to up the eggs and oil.  Adding chopped crystallized ginger and chocolate chips made them sweet and special – in fact so sweet I was able to skip the sugar all together. They're light and not too filling, unlike many of the more substantial breakfast treats I usually make.  They'll be a perfect addition to an Easter brunch buffet. 

Gluten Free Scones
Preheat at 375 degrees
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper


1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
3 large eggs
2/3 cup Crystallized Ginger, finely chopped
1 1/3 cup All Natural chocolate Chips

Be sure to check your ingredients to make sure everything is gluten free.

The only variable in this recipe is the temperature of the coconut oil.  If your kitchen is cool it will be solid.  If your kitchen is about 75 degrees or higher it will be soft or melted.  I've worked with both melted and soft consistencies for this recipe and they each worked fine.  Either way put all ingredients except the Crystallized Ginger and Chocolate Chips in a mixing bowl - I used my Kitchenaid Mixer.  The Kitchenaid mixes everything in less than a minute no matter what the oil consistency is.  

If your oil is hard and you're mixing by hand use the technique on the bag cutting the coconut oil into the mix as you would for a pie crust or biscuits until all ingredients are just incorporated and a only a little lumpy.  Add the ginger and chocolate chips.

Drop into large spoonfuls onto parchment paper.  I made 18 scones that took about 12 to 15 minutes to bake to a nice golden brown.

Enjoy!

No comments: