Wednesday, June 15, 2011

2 Recipes from 2 Favorite Sites

I have literally (literally Gabby) dozens of recipes bookmarked on so many sites waiting to be tried.  So today I decided to try a couple of them rather than clean my house.

Since I'm going out of town for a couple of days next week I want to pack up a few things I can take along easily to eat safely.  I'll be flying so no coolers for this trip.

Elana's Wheat Thin type cracker looked like a great place to start. They really do taste very much like Wheat Thins. Dare I say better?  They will be a great high protein snack for the plane and the hotel.  The recipe is easy and quick. I tripled the recipe so I could use an entire one pound bag of almond meal.  (Her recipe calls for almond pulp which is what is leftover from making almond milk.)  I added a tablespoon of water per cup of almond meal to add a little moisture.  I also subbed honey for agave.  My oven doesn't go as low as Elana's and I didn't want to monopolize it for a day so I chose to go ahead and bake them faster in a 350 degree oven.  I turned them over half way through for even baking.  They took about fifteen minutes.  The only thing I'd do differently next time is roll them a bit thinner.

Deanna's Almost Elvis cookies have been on my list for a while.  Bananas, Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chips!  So delicious!  Deanna bakes similarly to me and I never have to decrease the sugar or increase the protein.  I made some biscuit sized and they'll make great breakfasts on the road.  My version was not vegan - I subbed an egg for the chia and water Deanna uses, organic cane sugar for for the palm sugar and gf oats for the buckwheat groats.  Nothing that changed the flavor or texture significantly.  I'm glad I tucked a few in the freezer because they're nearly gone.  What would I do differently next time?  Triple this recipe, too.

Marc came home for lunch and we heated up some cashew curry and rice together.  We have a new way to enjoy it - not traditional but very good.  Red pepper flakes sprinkled on top gives it even more heat and is wonderful.

Now I really do need to clean.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm all around.
and olive LOVES those cookies.
me too me too.
you're the best, chacha!
xoxo.

chacha said...

I loved seeing cookie crumbs on Olive's sweet face yesterday. =)
Deanna is pretty much known for healthy, yummy cookies.
xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Chacha - I'm so happy that you liked them (and Olive, too!).

gab said...

she ate the last one for breakfast today!
i think she's also sad that you didn't triple the recipe!! :) xoxo.