Friday, September 2, 2011

Elana's Paleo Bread - Yum!



I need to share this recipe now.  Elana of Elana's Pantry always has great recipes but this bread is one of her best in my opinion.  It's hearty, nutritious, moist and delicious.  Easy, too.  

Elana's recipe calls for almond flour and even though I only had almond meal in the pantry I went ahead and gave it a try. The original recipe calls for a smaller pan than I have so I doubled the recipe and made one very large loaf using a standard size pyrex loaf pan. I had to bake it several minutes longer because of the size but it came out perfectly.  With the almond meal, coconut flour, flax meal and all those eggs it's just packed with protein.  A thin toasted slice spread with peanut butter was a really satisfying breakfast. The sandwiches we made with it were wonderful. It's great with butter and it's just perfect plain, too.  Pretty impressive for any bread, let alone a gluten free bread.

Right now I'm working on gluten free graham crackers for end of summer s'mores now so it's back to the kitchen for me. =D 

2 comments:

Melanie said...

How much longer did you bake it? I don't think anyone on earth has that size pan other than Elana! ;-)
Also, what's the difference between almond flour and meal? Grind? Would pulsing in food processer longer turn it from meal to flour....or just straight to butter?

MelanieM

chacha said...

Hi Melanie! My loaf took a good 15 - 20 minutes longer. I've made it twice and found using a toothpick to check the center just like you do a cake helped.

Almond meal is ground with the skins on - almond flour is made from blanced almonds. I just dumped everything in my Kitchen Aide mixer instead of getting out the food processor. There can be a very short window between meal and butter. =D

It would seem her loaf would be lighter in texture both because of the flour vs meal and food processor vs mixer - but we really like the texture of this version.