Friday, June 1, 2012

Happy Birthday to Joe & a Cupcake Recipe, too!



Today is Joe's 17th birthday. It's inconceivable to me that my "baby" is 17 already and taller than all of us. It seems he was born yesterday.


Joe completed our family.


And fit right in with the crazy that is us.




Crazy!


I love his loving heart for animals that has always been evident.








In fact I love pretty much everything about Joe and thank God for him daily. He's the most patient son on the earth, a loving brother, a caring friend and he loves the Lord with all his heart. 


Today he wanted to hang out with his brother and visit some guitar shops - I think they had a pretty good time. Apparently this bass is "awesome".


Birthday meals?  Nachos and pizza because he is, after all, a teenager.  But this teenager chose nachos for breakfast AND lunch and pizza for dinner.  Pizza with a Godzilla movie, that is. Birthday dessert?  These cupcakes!






They are basically Ev's Cupcakes with a bit of a twist.  They're a little denser - almost like a poundcake. I increased the cocoa a bit and lowered the sugar, too. The cupcakes are glazed with white chocolate chips slightly thinned with coconut oil. 


Joe's cupcakes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Line cupcake tin with 12 paper liners
Makes 12 large cupcakes

1/2 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 eggs - Jumbo sized
1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
2/3 cup organic cane sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla bean

Combine all ingredients and beat on low until well combined.  Turn mixer to medium and let it go for about two minutes or until the mixture starts to turn lighter and glossy.  I use a Kitchenaid stand mixer and usually let it mix as I line the cupcake tins or prepare my pans.

Scoop batter evenly into the liners – they will be at least ¾ full.  Bake approximately 25 minutes.  Use a toothpick in the center to test for doneness. Don't over bake or they'll get dry.

Cool before glazing.

To make the glaze, melt over very low heat in a thick bottom pan:

1 cup White Chocolate Chips
2 teaspoons Coconut Oil

Stir frequently and remove from heat as soon as chips are almost completely melted. Cool until slightly thickened and spoon about one teaspoon full onto each cupcake.

And I just have to give you a little peek at this darling Eiffel Tower apron my mom gave me as a birthday gift - is it so cute?? You can find it here if you're so inclined.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Sis! I knew I could peek in for a recap of the festivities, a recipe and a cupcake shot! They look yummy! I want to smell one! Glad a great time was had- Happy Birthday Joe!
Can you add a link on the Coconut Flour for your source for food snobs like me? haha
Also- tell me about the adorable cupcake holders, they make the finishing touch!
Have a blessed day Sis~ YSIC

chacha said...

Hey Laura! You know me well already! Joe said "Cool. Thank you!" when I relayed your bday wish. :-)

Since I know you've found the Tropical Traditions site already I thought I would link the coconut oil I always use to bake with rather than the flour. The expeller pressed has a really faint frangrance and is the lightest of all that I've tried.

This is the referral program link - meaning that if you or anyone else uses this link to make a first time purchase you receive a $25. gift certificate and a free coconut oil book. For referring someone I also receive a $25. certificate. Win/win!

http://secure.ttpurchase.com/AE6DDC46-1E0B-90B3-0EABB988ED5B5DA6

Aren't the wrappers cute? Since we avoid dyes I always use natural or white liners so it's fun to dress them up a bit. I collect them from my mom's site, craft stores (Wilton brand) and World Market. These are from WP but I bought them two Easters ago.

You blessed my day by writing - hope you have a blessed day, too!

Laura said...

Thanks Sis! I will keep my eye open for some. They definitely add a touch of class to the event.

I will use the link also.

See you soon at TJ's. :)

Jesus loves you!

chacha said...

Laura, He has shown me He does this week!!

Hope you've had a good week - I've been in TJ's a couple of times this week and missed you.

YSIC