Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fiesta Chicken & Rice Salad

Gratefully shared on Gluten Free Wednesdays!

Like a lot of the country we've been experiencing record heat. And while it is a few degrees cooler today it is still sticky hot.  Making dinner didn't sound too appealing tonight and I didn't want to turn on the oven. Something cool and refreshing but also flavorful and hearty was my goal. I found this recipe in an old file and knew this would be just the thing. I originally made it up for Marc's high school graduation party a few years ago. The beauty of a salad like this is you can put whatever you like in it and change proportions to suit yourself. Leave out the grilled chicken for a vegetarian salad if you prefer. I'm making enough for leftovers so I can avoid the kitchen later this week when we get back to 100 degrees.


The dressing is an adaptation of the Mexican Salad Dressing from Nourishing Traditions Cookbook by Sally Fallon.  She suggests using it on a green salad but I love it with this combination.  Just pour it all in a jar and set it aside while you prepare the salad.

1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4  apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 - 4 drops stevia liquid - I like Sweet Leaf
dash of garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teas0oon cayenne
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large serving bowl add:

Several cups cooled basmati rice (or brown rice)
About 8 grilled chicken breast tenderloins, thinly sliced
One chopped organic orange and red peppers
One small chopped Vidalia onions
One bag of Trader Joe's fire roasted frozen corn
One can of black beans, rinsed well
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Pour dressing over everything and stir lightly to mix.  


Add salt and pepper to taste and serve warm or chill for later. I love this as is but you can top it with salsa, guacamole, crumbled cojita cheese or even serve it on salad greens.




Enjoy!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks very yummy! I can't wait to try it.

chacha said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

We had it tonight. I wish you could have heard them rave. (My husband said something about a taste of heaven.) I get the best compliments from my family when I serve your recipes! :)

chacha said...

Your comment just made my day - maybe my week! Thanks so much for letting me know. =D

Laura said...

Hey that looks beautiful and would be perfect for a potluck or meal to someone at church ministry. Of course I would sub something for the chicken- but it looks GREAT! I will make it soon. Thanks Cha Cha- I think you should have a photo of you in the background with maracas!

chacha said...

No one would miss the chicken. I just add more beans when I make it veg.

I'll work on that photo! =D

xoxo