Monday, July 25, 2011

Gluten Free Potato Rolls



This roll uses potato starch rather than the tapioca starch I so often use. A couple of friends have commented that tapioca starch seems to cause digestive issues for them and I wanted to find an alternative. For us, it’s an easy, gluten free, grain free ingredient I can buy inexpensively and easily at my local Asian markets. When I realized I had a bag of potato starch in the pantry I decided to experiment this morning. Potato starch is usually just a shelf away from the tapioca starch at my markets and is just about the same price.

Potato starch has a powdery, fine consistency out of the bags similar to the tapioca starch.  The dough texture was a bit dryer than the tapioca dough and therefore a little easier to roll into balls without sticking to my hands.  I used a mild whole milk mozzarella finely shredded and no seasonings so there was no overt cheesy taste (not that that is ever a bad thing) and my sample was delicious alone and with butter.  The texture is really light and airy – almost like a drop biscuit.  I’m looking forward to trying them with blackberry jam in the morning if there are any left after dinner.

Gluten Free Potato Rolls
Makes 13
Bake at 375 until golden – about 15 minutes in my oven.

Mix together until well incorporated:

2 cups potato starch
2 cups finely shredded whole milk mozzarella
3 eggs
½ cup oil (I used grapeseed but any mild oil or melted butter will work)
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

Roll into balls about the size of a golf ball and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake until golden.

Enjoy!

Quick Update Edit:  A few rolls did make it to the morning.  Joe sliced at toasted his for mini breakfast sandwiches.  Mine were heated and slathered with butter and blackberry jam which was great with green tea.   We all agreed they were very much like biscuits and it's nice to have a quick and easy recipe again.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your web site. What bothers me about it is that I cannot find 2 things vital -
[1] a search spot so I don't have to read every blog to find what I may be interested in
[2] a categorized list of your recipes, topics, etc.

chacha said...

Dear Anonymous,

I'm always happy to have feedback, positive or otherwise.

I will look into a search function - good point.

Regarding categories - if you look on the right of the page you'll see the "LABELS" which will help you find recipes by categories.

Thanks for writing.