Thursday, March 1, 2012

Can't Be Beet Bars!


Beets - do you enjoy them? I never really tried until I was well into my forties and was reading through Nourishing Traditions. Now I love them. They seem to be one of those love/hate vegetables. My sons hate them. Really and truly despise them. But they are so healthy and so full of necessary minerals that I had to find a way to sneak them into something they would enjoy. They LOVE these bars.

I remember reading somewhere a long while back that the very first Red Velvet cakes were that deep red color because of beets - not awful artificial dyes - was someone's mom just being sneaky for her kids' health? So chocolate was the obvious choice to combine with the beets. It had been quite a while since I'd made any of my usual almond meal bars/breakfast cakes so I assembled the ingredients and just tweaked a bit. I had canned beets on hand so I used those - of course cooking and pureeing fresh beets would work, too. This is another oil free recipe and I am sure using flax/water for eggs would work well.

My guys know and expect me to add vegetables into just about anything I make and they're happy that I do it.  They'd rather have yummy (yet nutritious) bars than beets on their plates.

Can't Be Beet Bars!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Lightly grease 13 x 9 pan with coconut oil.

In a blender combine until completely pureed:
6 large Eggs
1 can sliced beets (15 ounce, approx.)

Pour into mixing bowl (I use my Kichenaid) with:
1 lb Almond Meal
2/3 cup Organic Sugar
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt

When thoroughly mixed add:
1 cup White Chocolate Chips
1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips

Stir to blend and spread into baking pan.  Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until firm in center.  Cool completely before cutting.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Choc Chip Uru said...

I am a solid against beetroot girl but these bars do look like they 'can't be beet' :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Tropical Caramelised Baked German Pancake