Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Gluten Free Oatmeal Date Jumbo Cookies


It's been one of those weeks.  Allergies are getting me.  Sleep has been elusive.  My Meatless Monday post was waylaid by computer and camera issues.  The only thing that seemed blog worthy today is this recipe for Oatmeal Jumbo Cookies because sometimes you just need cookies. Now that I'm enjoying a hot cup of tulsi tea and a couple of cookies the day is looking brighter. =D


Gabby has made Oatmeal Jumbo cookies from a Better Homes and Gardens recipe each Christmas the last few years. They have become our second favorite new Christmas tradition. The first favorite? Having them all come over on Christmas day and sharing the tamales we've made together earlier that week!

The recipe is flour free and calls for quick cooking rolled oats.  Bob's Red Mill has just the thing and they're certified gluten free.  Not having to deal with mixing flours is always a good thing when baking gluten free. The combination of chewy oatmeal and peanut butter is so perfect. In fact, these cookies were the inspiration for this muffin. The original recipe calls for candy-coated milk chocolate pieces but with a dye allergy in the house they're out. Gabby has always substituted chocolate chips for us. They're heaven.


It's a recipe I've played with a few times and it's very adaptable and forgiving. Last weekend  at a friend's house we had some delicious cookies that were very nearly the same but they had dates rather than chocolate.  Since I'm planning a picnic for our beach day this weekend I thought that substitution would be ideal since chocolate chips can be messy in the sun. I'll put a dozen in the freezer when they're cool and they'll defrost in the cooler on the drive.

Because we're careful about sugar I cut it in half and used Turbinado raw cane sugar which, to me anyway, is somewhere between brown and white sugar in taste. The original recipe calls for a combination of each. I thought I had pecans in the freezer but didn't. The only thing really affected by lowering the sugar and not using the pecans was the total amount of cookies - this adaptation made 39 one inch cookies. Of course, a one inch cookie isn't very jumbo at all.  If you want truly jumbo cookies you'll get just over a dozen three inch cookies.

And by the way, do you wear aprons in the kitchen? I find they save on time and laundry because when I'm not wearing one is when I usually get splashed or spattered on! Having to run upstairs and change before company comes over is a pain and getting coconut oil out of clothing can be tough but if you're wearing an apron it's no big deal. I especially love this pretty little number - it's so bright and summery. It's from my mom's store and you can find it here.

Oatmeal Date Jumbos
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line two baking sheets with parchment

4 cups Quick-Cooking Oats - I used Bob's Red Mill
1 cup All Natural Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Grapeseed oil
1 cup Turbinado Raw Cane Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
3 Eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped Dates

Mix everything together well and shape into 1 inch balls.

Bake for 15 minutes and let cool just a few before removing to plate.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter and dates! count me in. I love how you shaped you cookies as well

chacha said...

Thanks so much!
A bug kept me down a few days but I'm trying your recipe this week.

Anonymous said...

I made these for my family this week with chocolate chips and a few ingredient variations. They are yummy and I don't feel like I have to scarf down cookie after cookie. That's good as I'm trying to watch my sugar now. They are very satisfying.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say, I added a little flaxseed. It might have dried them out a bit, but they're still good!

chacha said...

I'm glad you liked them! I made them today for a party my youngest went to - added white and dark chocolate chips, coconut and flax - and subbed cranberries for the dates. They were kind of ugly but very yummy.

I've also patted the dough into a 13x9 pan for bars which is a good when you're in a hurry. I'm thinking of doing that for the retreat and making them breakfast bar sized.

Anonymous said...

I thought about coconut, too. Everything else you added sounds yummy! They are a lot like my favorite granola bar recipe so I could see how they would work well in the 13x9. I'll have to try the corresponding muffin recipe next!

chacha said...

I just peeked at your granola bar recipe and it looks great!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I wonder if you looked at the gluten free one I posted a few months ago? I have an even better one. It's not gluten free but I've substituted to make it so. I'll post it for you! You could probably find a better way than the GF flour blend I've used.

chacha said...

I think I was looking at the one you posted today. It really does look great. It might work without any gf flour at all.

Anonymous said...

I wondered...I'll give that a try. It's fun to experiment.

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy grapeseed oil? I tried this recipe with some I found, but my son reacted. It was off list...is there even an approved oil on the Feingold list? I only glanced but didn't see one.

Thanks, as always, for your help!

chacha said...

I'm so sorry to hear that!

There's been a question as to whether it would be FG stage 1 or 2. I wouldn't try another brand with him but rather use an oil (or butter or butter sub) that he can tolerate. I've even subbed coconut oil with this recipe and it worked great.

Anonymous said...

Ah, possibly stage 2, maybe that was the problem. I am getting ready to order coconut oil and will try that next time.

chacha said...

Hope so!

Marc Mueller said...

I would like these again!

chacha said...

Okay Marc, they're in the oven now. =D

xoxoxoxo