Saturday, February 12, 2011

Easy Hummus Pitas

  
ChaCha's kitchen was a busy place this afternoon. After lunch dishes were cleaned up, it was time to make some Kombucha and start a batch of coconut milk kefir.  (Coconut milk kefir makes great dairy free, probiotic rich smoothies.)  Next on the agenda, cheese bread baked in a 9 x 7 rectangular casserole. While I was making the cheese bread I decided to make a pita type bread. As I thought about it I decided that a hummus based bread would be full of protein and flavor.  So starting with the cheese bread recipe since all the ingredients were still on the counter, I made a basic hummus recipe thinned with extra olive oil to use instead of cheese and tweaked the egg/flax amounts. The dough was soft, easy to work with and smelled great.  

This is a really fast and easy recipe.  Preparation took ten minutes and baking about twenty minutes.  These pitas would not only make great sandwiches but would be good with just about any meal.  I think mini falafel sandwiches could be a fun appetizer.  

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare two large baking sheets by lightly oiling.

In a food processor, blender or Vitamix, puree:

1 can organic garbanzo beans with liquid
¾ cup olive oil
2T lemon juice
2 large eggs
4T finely milled golden flax
1T sunflower seed butter
1 clove garlic


In a large bowl mix hummus mixture and:

1 lb bag tapioca flour
1T baking powder
½ t sea salt

Mix until well incorporated.

Using lightly oiled hands to shape the breads divide into 12 pieces and shape into circles about 1/3 inch thick.

I baked them for ten minutes, flipped them over and baked for about ten more.  They were soft and easily sliced.  We ate quite a few of them plain and dipped in olive oil.



I had to laugh at how much my sons loved them because neither of them likes hummus.  I think we've found a new favorite.  

No comments: